Győr is a city of four rivers.
This is where the rivers Danube (Mosoni Duna), Rába, Rábca and Marcal meet.
It has been inhabited for thousands of years.
Its ancient name is Arrabona, a Roman settlement in Upper Pannonia. Its German name (Raab) is derived from the river name Arrabo (Rába), its Hungarian name is linked to the name of the first lord of the town, the knight Geur.
The hermitage of King St. László of the House of Árpád (1077-1095) is preserved here. According to legend, in 1598 the Iron Cockerel was heard on the castle steps when Győr was recaptured from the Ottoman Empire.
The historic town, now over 750 years old, is Hungary’s outstanding industrial, academic, cultural, sporting and socio-economic centre.
We are proud of Győr! See a few photos of this wonderful city here:
Péter Krausz, Zsuzsa Sándor, Judit Somló, Marianna Spiegel, Olga Spitzer, Miklós Szedő